Archive for March, 2011
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011
Photo: Komen Development Manager, Tonya Dixan; LA Boxing Owner, Gabe Miller; Komen Executive Director, Janet Dewey-Kollen
March 23, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
February 19, LA Boxing Baton Rouge joined thousands of participants in one of the largest 5K run/fitness walks in Louisiana, The Komen Race for the Cure. Leading up to the event, LA Boxing Trainers and Staff of the Sherwood Forest gym sparked a campaign titled, “We Fight For The Cure”, aimed at raising funds for the foundation. Their efforts helped generate a total of $2,935.00 in donations to help support Susan G. Komen Baton Rouge.
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Since its inception in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local Race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 Races with more than 1 million people expected to participate in 2011.
Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain here in the Komen Baton Rouge Affiliate to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.
Donations provide women and men in the Komen Baton Rouge Affiliate with services that have literally saved lives. For more information about understanding Breast Cancer or getting involved in finding a cure, visit http://www.komenbatonrouge.org/.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011
WBRZ News 2 – Sarah Rosario spoke with Kody Horn of LA Boxing about how self defense courses, specifically Jiu-Jitsu can help teach you how to protect yourself against an attacker.
Not only are martial arts classes beneficial for self-protection, they can also help build confidence and provide a workout.
Horn says he’s seen a person’s demeanor change tremendously over the course of training.
He says that attackers often look for signs of low confidence when choosing a victim.
These courses are sort of a two-for-one; you get the training and increased mental strength along with seeing physical results from the work out.