Archive for January, 2011
Friday, January 21st, 2011
A disease that is diagnosed in nearly 1.3 million people annually, breast cancer is the most prevalent cancer in the world today. It is widespread and random, affecting women and men of all ages and race. The exact cause is unknown, and still, there is no cure.
Years ago my family and I experienced the devastating impact of breast cancer firsthand. As a loving aunt, sister, wife, mother and grandmother, Janet Foret courageously faced the challenges of treatment and remained positive throughout her battle with breast cancer. From the initial diagnosis to the last days, Janet fought with heart and soul to overcome this horrific illness.
LA Boxing Baton Rouge continues her fight and millions of others by teaming up with Susan G. Komen For The Cure. Join us on February 19th at the LSU Old Front Nine to participate in Komen Baton Rouge Race for the Cure. You can be a part of the LA Boxing Team by going online to http://www.komenbatonrouge.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/teams/. Click â€œJoin a Teamâ€ then find us under â€œTeam Companyâ€. Registration is only $25!
To further support the cause, LA Boxing Baton Rouge will be donating 100% of new member registration fees during the entire month of February to the Susan G. Komen organization! For more than 25 years, Komen for the Cure has played a critical role in every major advance in the fight against breast cancer â€“ transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease, and helping to turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors.
Now help us fight back!
LA Boxing Baton Rouge
Friday, January 14th, 2011
How can I tell whether something is organic?
Organic is actually a legal definition when applied to food. In order for a food to be labeled or sold as organic it must have been produced according to national organic farming and processing standards. In the case of processed foods, such as cookies, US standards state that at least 95% of all ingredients must be certified organic. The other 5% can be non-organic only if approved by the certifier – this occurs only if there is difficulty finding an organic version of the ingredient and may be only a temporary measure.
What stops producers calling their produce organic anyway?
Certifiers in every country carry out regular inspections to ensure that organic standards are being met and will give products that meet these standards a mark or number as a guarantee of authenticity. If you want to be sure that the food you are buying is organic then look out for either of these on a label or, if buying unpackaged products, ask the retailer for proof.
Are all organic foods healthy?
Yes and no. Organic foods are less likely to contain chemical and antibiotic residues, and they are not allowed to contain hydrogenated fats, artificial additives, flavorings or preservatives. So in this respect they are, in fact, healthier. However, they are not ‘health foods’. You can buy organic ice cream, biscuits and chocolate, for example, none of which should be eaten to excess if you are concerned about your health. But organic foods are definitely healthy for the environment.
With so much organic food coming from overseas, how green can it be?
Organic imports are on the rise in many countries around the world, and there are clearly environmental costs to transporting food in this way. However, the environmental benefits of organic farming are so great that anyone serious about green living should buy organic. In addition, the more people that buy organic the more likely it is that farmers will convert their farms to organic production and that governments will help by subsidizing these farmers during the conversion process (up to three years). Itâ€™s a good idea to buy as much of your produce locally as you can and eat seasonally. The organic community encourages both.